Wednesday, June 29, 2005

MSNBC - The Empire's New Clothes

Some blogs are impossible to keep up with. Just too prolific, or too strident, or too repetitive, or all of the above. But I keep them in my Bloglines subscriptions because I do occasionally find something good there. Needlenose is one of those, and today he pointed me towards this MSNBC article, The Empire's New Clothes

A clear head and a calculator will tell you very quickly that the costs of this conflict in Iraq are on a scale far beyond whatever benefits it was supposed to bring. If Saddam had been behind 9/11, OK. But he wasn't. If he'd really posed a clear and present danger to the United States with weapons of mass destruction, then the invasion would have been justifiable. But he didn't, and it wasn't. Bringing freedom and democracy to the Iraqi people is a laudable goal, but not one for which the administration made any worthwhile preparations—which is why the occupation has been so ugly, bloody and costly. Tabloids may amuse their readers with snapshots of Saddam in his skivvies, but it's the Bush administration's threadbare rationales for postmodern imperialism that have been exposed.
I don't know who Christopher Dickey is, but I'll be looking for more of his articles now. Just what I need, eh? More to read on the web!

No comments: