Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Treehugger: GE Invests in Wave Energy

Treehugger has garnered a lot of blog awards recently. I like it well enough to track it closely, even if it is a bit more commercial and way too prolific for my tastes. This post reports good news about a clean green energy technology I first read about on WorldChanging:

Treehugger: GE Invests in Wave Energy

GE has announced that it is providing capital to Ocean Power Delivery (OPD), a Scottish company that specializes in generating electricity from offshore ocean waves. OPD developed the Pelamis Wave Energy Converter, which generates 750 kilowatts of electricity from offshore wave motion.
Sure sounds like a technology that could scale quickly and generate some serious energy. I have to wonder though, if the open ocean is too inhospitible an environment. Will these installations last without inordinately expensive maintenance? I guess we'll find out.

No comments: