Friday, November 18, 2005

Nosy sons save mom

Engadget is not my main source of news. But this is pretty interesting: Nosy sons save mother via webcam

If you thought webcams were only good for video calls, monitoring coffee pots and traffic conditions and, of course, pr0n, think again. Karin Jordal, a 69-year-old artist was recently rescued by her far-flung sons after they discovered, via her webcam, that she had collapsed in her California home.
I know my mom, in her final days of living independently while fighting cancer, detested the idea of wearing one of those emergency call necklaces, the I've-fallen-and-I-can't-get-up gizmos. Even when she we really needed it, she refused to wear it since it was a sign of weakness. The image of weak frailty and incompetence used to sell the device in their ads turned her and her friends off in a big way. I'm pretty sure she would not have objected to a webcam monitor.

No comments: